BHP Billiton Iron Ore prepared a revision to the Area C Environmental Plan (EMP) – Revision 5 – to assess the impact of a proposed expansion to the existing Area C Mine. This phase would involve mining of the B, R, P4, P5 and P6 deposits at Area C.
Urbis was commissioned to undertake a landscape and visual impact assessment of the proposed expansion as part of the revision to the EMP.
Key requirements of the study were:
- Undertake a site inspection to identify sensitive viewpoints.
- Prepare a characterisation of the existing landscape features.
- Prepare visual simulations of the mine during development and at end of life.
- Prepare a viewshed analysis and a comparative analysis between approved and proposed operations.
- Assess the potential visual impacts of the proposed operations on sensitive receptors, including night lighting and cumulative impact of the existing Area C and nearby Hope Downs mines.